Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Saturday 26 October 2013

Morning Walk At Lorong Halus (26 Oct 2013)

Recently a friend shared with me some macro photographs he took at Lorong Halus and it arose my curiosity on what beetles I would find at the place. The weather was fine and so I headed for Lorong Halus.


The first beetle that came into view was a Leaf Beetle (Aulacophora indica) that was caught in a spider's web.


Nearby were a number of the Aulacophora indica Leaf Beetle.


Moving down the path, a Leaf Beetle (Hoplasoma unicolor) was found resting on a fern leaf.


After walking for a while without finding any beetles, this tiny (~1 mm) beetle was a welcomed find. This is a first-time-encounter beetle.


Near by to the tiny beetle was this beetle larvae. This is an interesting larvae as it remained very still the entire time when I am photographing it. I guessed that it was enjoying its drink of "sky juice".


Further down the path, I found this Fungus Beetle on a tree trunk. It is interesting that it is still pretty active in the morning since this is an nocturnal beetle.


Moving to a patch of low bushes, several of this Leaf Beetle (Lema diversa) were found sunning themselves.


On the same patch of low bush was this small metallic blue Leaf Beetle (Lema cyanella).


A surprise was awaiting me when I looked at a tree along the path. A large number of the small (~2 mm) Fungus Beetle were gathered under the few "shelter" on the tree trunk. There were many other beetles gathered in the same manner on the tree trunk.


Coming to a patch of low grass, I found this first-time-encounter Spiny Leaf Beetle resting on a blade of grass. This looked like the Dicladispa armigera Spiny Leaf Beetle except that its body very much broader. I always find photographing the Spiny Leaf Beetles a challenge in getting the right Depth-Of-Field for a better photograph.


A stone's throw away was this first-time-encounter Net-winged Beetle. This looked like the Taphes brevicollis Net-winged Beetle except that its color is brownish-orange instead of red. This is the first time I came across a Net-winged Beetle feeding on flowers. This is an interesting find.


The time was about 10am but the heat from the sun was like noon time. It was getting very hot and it reminded me of the same experience when I was at the Sengkang Riverside Park.  Despite the hot weather, I persevered on and found this Ladybird Beetle (Henosepilachna cucurbitae) - albeit that it was breakfast for this yellow Assassin Bug.


The last encounter for the trip was this spiky beetle larvae. By now the weather was too hot for me to bear and I decided to end the trip.


Although this was a rather short trip with not many beetle encounters , I am glad that I can still find 3 first-time-encounter beetles.

No comments:

Post a Comment