Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Friday 9 August 2013

Morning Walk At Upper Seletar Reservoir (09 Aug 2013)

It has been a long time since I last visited the Upper Seletar Reservoir so taking advantage of the fine morning weather, I made a beeline to the place early in the morning. To find beetles in Upper Seletar Reservoir, you would need to move off the paved path and into the "wilder" paths.


The first beetle was found along the road near to the car park. It was a small (~5 mm) roundish Leaf Beetle, happily having its breakfast.


Near to the Leaf Beetle was a commonly encountered beetle (~3 mm).


The first beetle that I encountered after moving off the paved path was this small (~4 mm) Tumbling Flower Beetle.


During my last trip to this place I encountered dozens of this yellowish-orange  Leaf Beetle (Hoplasoma unicolor), but this trip I only managed to find two of them. I wondered what happened to all of them.


Near to the Hoplasoma unicolor Leaf Beetle was a Spiny Leaf Beetle. Didn't managed to get many shots of this beetle as it was super sensitive to my camera flashes and flew off after just two to three shots.


On some low grass bushes was this interesting looking Leaf Beetle. This is only the second time that I came across this beetle since I started taking photographs of Singapore's beetles less than 8 months ago.


A pleasant surprise was the encountering of this first time encountered Leaf Beetle. In fact, I don't remember seeing any photograph of this beetle on the internet.


Moving to an area with several rattan plants, I was surprised to find this Fungus Beetle (Eumorphus mirus) moving slowly on the rattan leaf.


Nearby to the Fungus Beetle was this tiny (~2 mm) Leaf Beetle.


Moving into a shaded area, a Tiger Beetle (Therates dimidiatus) was seen with its usual pose on a big leave.


While trying to take a closer photograph of the Tiger Beetle, a flash of white at the corner of my eyes and this lovely Leaf Beetle landed right beside me.


Moving on, two tiny (~2 mm) Leaf Beetles were found on a hairy leaf. Noticed that the beetle is only slightly longer than the hairs on the leaf.


Moving deeper into the path, another Spiny Leaf Beetle (Discladispa armigera) appeared. This time round I managed to get some good shots of the beetle after chasing it for a few meters.


Along side the path were some mid height plants and on one of them was this Flea Beetle. It is called a Flea Beetle due to the extra strong hind legs that it uses to jump up like a flea.


On a nearby plant was another Flea Beetle with its frog leg like hind legs showing.


On the same plant with the Flea Beetle was this tiny (~2 mm) roundish Leaf Beetle.


Nearing the end of the path was a muddy area where several of this Tiger Beetle (Cicndela aurulenta) were foraging. I was not able to get a good shot of them as they were easily spooked and would not let me get near to them.


The trip was fruitful, especially with the first time encountered Leaf Beetles and Flea Beetles.


No comments:

Post a Comment