Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Thursday 8 August 2013

Morning Walk At Venus Drive (08 Aug 2013)

It rained in the early morning but the weather cleared up later, so I decided to go down to Venus Drive for a walk. It must be due to the rain and a public holiday, the place was not as crowded as expected.


The first beetle that came into my view finder was this small (~4 mm) Leaf Beetle (Lema cyanella).


Near to the Lema Cyanella Leaf Beetle was another commonly encountered Leaf Beetle (Lema diversa).


Further down the trail was this Spiny Leaf Beetle. I always find photographing Spiny Leaf Beetle a little tricky especially in getting the spikes and the rest of its body in focus.


Coming to a fallen tree trunk, a Fungus Beetle was found resting under it.


And on a nearby Fish Tail Palm was this Fungus Beetle (Eumorphus assamensis).


Moving to another fallen log, a number of this type of Fungus Beetles (Eumorphus politus) were found foraging on a cluster of bracket fungus.


On the same bracket fungus with the Eumorphus politus Fungus Beetle was this interesting looking beetle larvae. It was interesting because this is the first time that I got to see such larvae with legs and moving quickly.


Another Fungus Beetle on another fallen tree log. It was interesting to find so many different types of Fungus Beetle in the day. It must be due to the wet and overcast weather.


Moving on to a shaded area and I found this Net-winged Beetle (Dictyoptera aurora). It was rather hyper sensitive and I have to chase after it for a while before it rested long enough for me to take some closeup photographs.


Moving to another fallen tree log and on it were a number of bracket fungus. On one of the bracket fungus was this first time encountered Fungus Beetle. It was busily moving around and after a few flashes from the camera, it decided to hide into some crevices in the log.


The sky started to drizzle again but I decided to take shelter in a shaded area and to my pleasant surprise, I found this Net-winged Beetle also taking shelter from  the drizzle.


Thankfully the drizzle only lasted a few minutes and I was able to continue with the walk. Coming to a fallen log, I saw something black and longish moving on it. I initially thought that it was an earwig insect but upon closer look, it turned out to be a Rove Beetle. This is a first time encountered Rove Beetle.


Coming near to the Fungus Paradise (http://beetlesg.blogspot.sg/2013/01/fungus-beetles-paradise-28th-dec-2012.html), I decided to make a detour to see if the place is still teeming with Fungus Beetle. To my surprise, I was able to find more than ten of this type of Fungus Beetle on a single tree log. This is the first time that I came across this type of beetle in such large number on the same tree log.


Interestingly on another tree log, I also found half a dozen of this type of Fungus Beetle.


On another tree log nearby were a number of this Fungus Beetle (Eumorphus quadriguttatus). It was so amazing to find Fungus Beetles in such large number in the day. It was simply wonderful.


One of the highlights of the trip was the encounter with this Bess Beetle (Aceraius grandis). It was a rare chance to encounter this beetle,  let alone in the day. Fabulous!


Just when I was feeling glad being able to encounter the Aceraius grandis Bess Beetle in the day, I came across this first time encountered Fungus Beetle (Spathomeles rizali).


On another tree log was this metallic green Tiger Beetle. Interesting coloration I must add.


Moving to some low hedges, I found this lovely small (~3 mm) beetle belonging to the Tumbling Flower Beetle family.


Moving along, I found this commonly encountered beetle after rain. This was so sensitive that I was only able to get one photograph of it before it flew away.


On the same plant was this tiny beetle (~2 mm).


Nearing the end of my walk, a small Darkling Beetle was resting on leaf. Although this beetle looked very much like those Darkling Beetles that I encountered previously, except that this beetle is half the size.


Passing by a huge tree, I managed to find this bright lovely beetle.


The last beetle for this trip was a small (~3mm) Leaf Beetle. This is a first time encountered Leaf Beetle.


The trip was very fruitful despite the overcast sky and wet vegetation as I was able to capture the photograph of about 24 different beetles. Wonderful trip indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment