Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Sunday 24 November 2013

Afternoon Walk At Venus Drive (23 Nov 2013)

It has been a while since I did any beetle photography in the afternoon as the chances of finding beetles in the afternoon are very much lower due our hot weather. As the sky has been overcast in the morning and seemed that it will be for the entire day, I decided to go down to Venus Drive for a walk.

Venus Drive was chosen as I thought the chances of finding beetles would be higher. At the same time, it would avoid the durian pickers crowd. As expected the place was very quiet and I am the only one on the track for almost two hours or so.


I made a bee-line to the usual spots where I would find Leaf Beetles in the morning, hoping to find some Leaf Beetles but to my disappointment there was not a single Leaf Beetle in sight. So I decided to head straight into the trail, hoping to find some beetles. I walked for a short while without finding any beetles until I came to a piece of dead log. A Fungus Beetle (Eumorphus assamensis) came out to greet me. Sadly, this was the only beetle I found on the log.


Near to the dead log, I found this small (~6 mm) Net-winged Beetle resting on a rattan leaf. Not sure if this is a Net-winged Beetle or some sort of Fungus Beetle as I recently read that there are Fungus Beetles that looked very much like Net-winged Beetle.


Moving to another fallen log, a familiar Fungus Beetle was found munching on a white fungus growth.


Flying nearby was a Tumbling Flower Beetle (Glipa malaccana) that occasionally stopped for a brief moment just to tease me into trying to photograph it. It was quite a challenge to photograph this hyper-active beetle using my 18-55 mm lens. Nevertheless I still managed to catch a few shots of it, albeit not too good ones.


I quickly reached the clearings where I used to find a number of beetles in the night. There were not too many beetles there but I managed to spot this big (~20 mm) first-time-encountered Darkling Beetle resting under some shades.


On a nearby dead log was a few of this Fungus Beetles (Eumorphus quadriguttatus).


From the few beetles encountered so far, I decided to go to the Fungus Paradise that I found previously to see if I can find some Fungus Beetles. Sure enough I found on a dead tree stump a group of about 10 of this Fungus Beetle.


Moving further, I found a lone Fungus Beetle (Eumorphus politus) on a dead leaf on top of a fallen tree log. It looked like it is feeding on something that was on the leaf.


Moving along the path and trying very hard to spot more beetles, this small (~5 mm) Fungus Weevil landed on a leaf right in front me. How wonderful!


Moving to another dead log, I found another lone Fungus Beetle hiding under some shade on the log. This type of beetle is in abundant in the night.


A small beetle larvae was spotted on the same log.


At this point in time, the sky started to rumble - it seemed that it was going to rain soon. So I picked up my paces but eyes still scanning the vegetation carefully for beetles. I finally found an interesting looking first-time-encountered beetle on a small plant.


As I was walking faster than usual, a whitish beetle flew across my path. Not wanting to miss photographing any beetles, I followed this 6 mm Leaf Beetle a short distance until it decided to take shelter under a leaf.


While I was photographing the Leaf Beetle I found a fallen tree further in the bushes, so I decided to take a detour and see if there are any beetles. I was pretty disappointed in not finding any Fungus Beetle on the log until I saw this lovely reddish-orange Fungus Beetle (Stenotarsus pardalis) resting on a leaf. This is one of my favorite beetles.


Moving quickly ahead, I found a small (~5 mm) Leaf Beetle (Argopus brevis) having a great time munching on a leaf. Its high tea time for the beetle.


Just as I am about to leave the place, I was pleasantly surprised to find a Long Horned Beetle (Thranius bimachulatus) resting motionlessly on a rubber tree leaf. This is the second time that I encountered this beetle. Nice!


Near to the Long Horned Beetle was this tiny 1 mm first-time-encountered beetle. It looked like a Leaf Beetle.


The last beetle that I encountered was this 2 mm Fungus Beetle moving about on a fungus laden leaf.


The trip was not exceptionally fruitful but it was not unexpected given that it was in the afternoon. In any case, besides the beetle I also found two durians along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment