Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Saturday 9 November 2013

Night Walk At Ang Mo Kio Town Garden West (08 Nov 2013)

It rained heavily in the late afternoon but stopped in the evening. I took the opportunity to revisit the Ang Mo Kio Town Garden West to continue from where I last left off because of the rain (http://beetlesg.blogspot.sg/2013/10/night-walk-at-ang-mo-kio-town-garden.html). At the same time I am also trying out a DIY flash diffuser.

The first beetle was a Chafer Beetle (Anomala variegata) found clinging to a creeper vine under a shelter covered with creeper vine.


Near to the Anomala variegata Chafer Beetle was another Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis), munching away on a lotus leaf.


Moving to some low bushes next to the walking path, a Chafer Beetle (Apogonia aequabilis) was having its dinner.


On a tree nearby, several of this Fungus Beetle were found.


Moving along the walking path, a number of this commonly seen Chafer Beetle (Adoretus compressus) were seen on a Hairy Clidemia plant (Clidemia hirta).


Nearby to the Adoretus compressus Chafer Beetle was a lone Tiger Beetle (Cicindela aurulenta). This was unlike the last time when I found a large number of them in a single area.


On a tree near to the Tiger Beetle was this tiny 1mm Fungus Beetle.


After walking for a while without encountering any other beetles except for the Apogonia expeditionis Chafer Beetle, this interesting looking beetle was a welcome sight.


On a tree nearby was this 5mm Darkling Beetle.


Moving into the area where I previously found many Tiger Beetles (Cicindela aurulenta), I began to see Tiger Beetles in small groups. Out of the many Tiger Beetles, my eyes were attracted to this particular one. On first glance it looked different and upon closer look, I noticed that it has one spot "missing". Only when I was looking through the photographs at home that I realised that the missing spot was a discoloration of the spot.


The sky turns pinkish-red, a sure sign that it is going to rain. Having learnt my lesson the last time where I was drench from head-to-toe, I decided to make a quick move towards the exit. While walking I found this Chafer Beetle (Maladera castanea) clinging to the base of a large palm tree.


Nearing the place where I exit the garden, there was a fallen log and on it was a Fungus Beetle.


Interestingly just before the exit, I found another spot where there is a large gathering of the Cicindela aurulenta Tiger Beetle. The photograph shows only a small portion of the congregated beetles.


The last beetle was this tiny 1mm beetle that was found together with the Tiger Beetles.


The trip was good and I managed to photograph quite a number of beetles, even though there wasn't any first-time-encountered beetles as compared to the last trip. Nevertheless this is still a good trip given that the place was pretty wet after the late afternoon rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment