Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Saturday 26 April 2014

Night Walk At Lower Pierce Reservoir (25 Apr 2014)

The weather was looking fine when I headed towards the Lower Pierce Reservoir but was sadden by the light drizzle as I was about to reach the place. The place was drenched to the bone and the hope of finding any beetles seemed so remote.


Instead of heading straight to new place that I "discover" last week, I decided to take a detour to another spot that I have not explore before. To my surprise, the first beetle that I encounter was this Fungus Beetle (Amblyopus vittatus). The place was so wet that you can even see a drop of water on the beetle.


The next beetle was not a surprise, it was a Chafer Beetle (Adoretus compressus).


Moving to a small plant nearby, I found a small 8 mm beetle resting on a leaf. At first glace I thought that it was a Aprosterna pallide Chafer Beetle, but upon closer look it turned out to be a first-time-encountered beetle. I am not too sure what type of beetle it is but I would hazard a guess that it is a Fungus Beetle.


Moving towards a fallen log, I found this lone Fungus Beetle.


Next to the fallen log was this cute Chafer Beetle.


Moving further, I found a tree with several beetles on it. The first one was a Long Horned Beetle (Coptops annulipes). It looked rather different in terms of its coloration of its elytra but the difference could be that this is a female specimen.


Next to the Coptops annulipes Long Horned Beetle was a Fungus Weevil (Sitboderes impressus). As with its name, the coloration of this beetle is pretty stunning.


Near the feet of these two beetles were several really tiny beetles. They looked like Fungus Beetles.


On another tree was this Darkling Beetle, resting motionlessly probably due to the earlier rain.


On the same tree was this brown 8 mm beetle.


On another tree was this Fungus Weevil.


Moving to some low bushes, I found this interesting pair of Chafer Beetle that looked familiar and yet not. This could be another first-time-encountered Chafer Beetle.


Moving further down the low bushes, I found this first-time-encountered Ground Beetle (Pentagonica marshalli).


On a next plant to the Pentagonica marshalli Ground Beetle, another first-time-encountered Ground Beetle (Pentagonica flavipes). I am so glad be able to find two first-time-encountered Ground Beetles at the same time.


Just when I am about to come out of the detour, a Leaf Beetle was found a leaf near the place where I exit. This is one of my favorite Leaf Beetle.


Moving closer to the "clearing" area, I am surprised to find a lone Tiger Beetle (Cicindela aurulenta) resting on a leaf.


Near to the Tiger Beetle was a first-time-encountered Fungus Beetle. This beetle looked like the usual black Fungus Beetle, just that it is entirely coffee-brown in color.


At the "entrance" to the "clearing", a Leaf Beetle (Colasposoma auropenne) was sleeping on the leaf. It started to move about after a few shots.


The first critter that I found at the "clearing" was this beetle larvae.


On a fallen log were these three amigos Fungus Beetle (Episcapha quadrimacula).


On the same log was a pair of this large Darkling Beetle.


On another log was this lovely metallic colored Ground Beetle (Catascopus dalbertisi). Interestingly, there were a number of this beetle on all the fallen logs at the place, just like the "clearing" at Venus Drive.


I was hoping to find the lovely yellow Illeis koebelei Ladybird Beetle but was only able to find its pupa.


The most amazing thing about this trip was to find tens if not hundreds of this type of Darkling Beetles congregated on all the fallen logs at the place.


On a log was this tiny 1 mm first-time-encountered Fungus Beetle.


At the center of the "clearing" is a large fallen tree and on it were many types of beetles. One of them was this Ground Beetle (Pericalus tetrastigma).


Crawling hurriedly along the tree was this Weevil Beetle.


Cling on the side of the tree was this large 20 mm Darkling Beetle (Promethis valga). I saw a Promethis valga Darkling Beetle during last week's trip at around the same place, may be this is the same one that I saw.


Moving gingerly at the side of the tree was this Ground Beetle (Coptodera marginata).


Another Weevil Beetle was found on the tree log but unlike the other Weevil Beetle this particular one remained very still.


Time passing by quickly and it was time for me to leave the place. Just as I was about to leave, this Long Horned Beetle (Anacylus griseatus) flew right in front of me.


The trip was exceptionally fruitful despite of the heavy rain. I am surprised to be able to find so many different beetles even after the rain. This place surely can rival Venus Drive in terms of finding beetles.

No comments:

Post a Comment