Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Friday 4 July 2014

Night Walk At Ang Mo Kio Town Garden West (04 Jul 2014)

My original plan was to go to Venus Drive for a walk to test out my DIY flash diffuser, but I was held up and decided to go to the Ang Mo Kio Town Garden West instead. 


The first beetle was the common Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis) which can be found through the park.


Near to the Apogonia expeditionis Chafer Beetle was another Chafer Beetle.


Just a few meters away was another commonly encountered Chafer Beetle (Adoretus compressus).


There were some dead tree logs along the path and on it were several of this tiny 1 mm Fungus Beetles.


Next to the Fungus Beetle was a even smaller Fungus Beetle.


The surprise and highlight of the trip was the encounter with this Leaf Beetle (Lilioceris cheni). I was not expecting to find this type of beetle at the park. It was resting on a leaf under some shade.


Moving further I was surprised to find this Long Horned Beetle (Epepeotes luscus) under a leaf.


Several of these Fungus Beetles were found on a tree near by.


The place seemed to be full of surprises, I found this small 4 mm first-time-encountered Net-winged Beetle hiding under a heliconia leaf.


Yet another surprise find nearby - a Ant-like Flower Beetle. This is slightly different from the Ant-like Beetle that I found in Lower Pierce Reservoir, with its white tibia.


As mentioned in my previous blog on the place, the large colony of  Cicindela aurulenta Tiger Beetle crashed after the dry spell in January/February this year. Sadly it didn't recover since and I only managed to find two of them on the entire trip.


While photographing the Tiger Beetle, a beetle flew past and landed on the underside of a leaf. It turned out to be a Chafer Beetle, which could be a female Adoretus compressus Chafer Beetle.


It was time for me to leave the place and on the way I found a fallen log with several beetle larvae on it.


Near by on another fallen log was a pair of mating Darkling Beetle. It was interesting to note that the fallen logs here are very dry and do not have much fungus growth on them.


On the same log was a Fungus Beetle (Eumorphus quadriguttatus quadriguttatus) which was very skittish and tried very hard to escape the light from my LED torch.


On the same log were also several beetle larvae.


Just as I am about to reached the "exit", I found a 6 mm Darkling Beetle on a palm tree that lined the park's main path.


Near to it on the same palm tree was a colorful beetle larvae.


Although it was a short walk, I am glad to be able to find so many different beetles especially so that it is in a neighborhood garden.  

1 comment:

  1. Hey i just stumbled across your blog and i gotta say goodjob for maintaining such a informative blog. I appreciate your effort for maintaining such blog and i look forward to more !! :)

    ReplyDelete