Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Friday 18 July 2014

Night Walk At Ang Mo Kio Town Garden East (18 Jul 2014)

I was held up and have only about 2 hours or so for the night-shoot session, so I decided to check out the Ang Mo Kio Town Garden East, which is about a few hundred meters from the Ang Mo Kio Town Garden West. I have always wanted to visit the place but was not able to do so until now. The garden is not very big and is probably only a third in size compared to the Ang Mo Kio Town Garden West.

Moving around the garden, I am pleasantly surprised to find a cocoa tree. Here's a close-up of one of the many cocoa flowers that were budding out from its trunk.


The first beetle was a 6 mm Darkling Beetle.


I searched every tree and bushes in the garden but not many beetles were found. In fact, the most common insect that I encounter at the garden were big ants, which seemed to be on every tree in the garden. Just when I almost wanted to call it a day since there were not many beetle found, I was pleasantly surprised to find this first-time-encountered Long Horned Beetle.


The next beetle was a female Chafer Beetle (Adoretus compressus) found on some waist level bushes.


Undeterred by the small number of beetles found, I continued to check every tree in the garden. Finally, a first-time-encountered 1 mm Fungus Beetle was found on a tree.


The place seemed barren and I decided to end the trip, just then I found this cocoa tree and found a first-time-encountered Chafer Beetle. This beetle looked similar to Maladera castanea Chafer Beetle but differed in the translucent elytra of this Chafer Beetle.


Just when I was almost near the exit of the garden, I accidentally found this Ladybird Beetle (Coelophora inaequalis) hiding under a leaf.


The last beetle I came across was this small 3 mm Darkling Beetle.


The trip was not fruitful with only 7 different beetles found. From the look of things, I would probably not return to this place again, especially so since the Ang Mo Kio Town Garden West is nearby and is more fruitful.

No comments:

Post a Comment