Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Friday 4 July 2014

Night Walk At Wallace Trail (01 Jul 2014)

I happened to be free and so I decided to go to Dairy Farm Nature Park's Wallace Trail for a night shoot. It was such a coincidence that I bumped into a fellow macro photographer (Lim B S) at the place and so we decided to teamed up for the walk. As my camera was set up macro shooting, I decided to use my handphone camera to a photograph of the place.


The first beetle that appear was a common Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis).


The next beetle was found a rotten tree log that lined the trail. It was a Fungus Weevil (Stiboderes impressus).


On the same log was this small 3 mm Darkling Beetle.


Moving further down the trail, on another tree log was a small group of this 10 mm Darkling Beetle.


On a leave above the Darkling Beetle was this Fungus Beetle (Eumorphus quadriguttatus quadriguttatus).


Still on the same log was this 3 mm Fungus Beetle. I always like to photograph such tiny beetles as they usually looked black to the naked eyes until you zoomed into it using your camera, and there reveal the lovely color or patterns on them.


I was surprised to find this Fungus Beetle (Stenotarsus nobilis nobilis) hiding on the side of the log. I have been looking for this beetle for many months until recently that I kept encountering them.


On a nearby tree was another tiny Fungus Beetle which looked black in color until zoomed in.


Moving on, a Leaf Beetle was found resting on a leaf. This beetle always reminds me of agar agar.


A stone's throw away from the Leaf Beetle was a Fungus Beetle (Amblyopus vittatus). It was pretty active and was moving up and down the leaf that it was on.


There was another log next to the path and I found this Ground Beetle.


Next to the log was a well camouflaged Weevil Beetle. I almost missed it until Lim pointed it out to me. Guessed that this is one of the benefits of teaming up with friends when doing macro shooting, besides the good conversations in between the photographs snapping.


We are almost a third into the Wallace Trail and we found a small group of Rove Beetles. This is a relatively hard beetle to photograph due to their constant movements. To photograph them, you will need to have a lot of patience since they will hide whenever they detect or sense light.


Finally a familiar Fungus Beetle (Eumorphus assamensis) and it felt good to be able to see them more often nowadays.


On the same log were these first-time-encountered Fungus Beetles. Initially I thought that they are Eumorphus assamensis Fungus Beetle until I noticed the slight difference in its elytra and also the red coloration on it.


On another log nearby was this Ground Beetle (Pericalus tetrastigma). It was rather skittish and tried to moved away from the light.


Near to the Ground Beetle was a tiny 2 mm Fungus Beetle.


On a dead branch nearby was a first-time-encountered Fungus Beetle.


The next beetle was a commonly encountered Tiger Beetle (Cicindela aurulenta) which was resting on a big leaf.


Our original plan was to exit near to the Visitor Center but we came to a point where there was a very large tree that had fallen across the trail and block off our path. Not wanting to take any risk since it is in the night, we decided to turn back. Just then this Fungus Beetle (Eumorphus mirus) was found on a leaf of the fallen tree.


Next to the Fungus Beetle was this first-time-encountered Clicked Beetle.


Turning back, we came across this first-time-encountered Soldier Beetle (Cantharidae ichthyurus) which I initially thought it was an Earwig insect, until I was processing the trip's photograph that I realized that it is a Soldier Beetle.


Just when we were almost at the entrance of the Wallace Trail, a Tumbling Flower Beetle was found resting on a crevice in a fallen log. It awoke from its slumber due to my camera flashes. This is the second time I came across this type of beetle.


After coming out of the Wallace Trail, we decided to head towards the Visitor Center via the main walk path. I decided to check out a large wood pile that I previously found. On it were several of this tiny 2 mm Fungus Beetle.


Searching around the wood pile, I found this Fungus Beetle trying to evade my torch light. Nevertheless I managed to take a few photographs of it.


After checking out the wood pile, we decided to call it day and head towards the carpark. Just then I found a pair of mating Leaf Beetle (Callispa dimidiatipennis dimidiatipennis).
[Afternote: I have misidentified this beetle and should be Callispa elegans.]


We are just a few meters from our cars and this Weevil Beetle appeared. This is the same type   Weevil Beetle that I encountered first time at the Tagore Drive area - http://beetlesg.blogspot.sg/2014/06/night-walk-along-tagore-drive-27-jun.html


The last beetle was only about 20 cm from the Weevil Beetle and it was the commonly encountered Chafer Beetle (Adoretus compressus).


I was pretty surprised to be able to find a fair number of first-time-encounter beetles on this trip. The trip was fruitful indeed, especially the encounter with the Soldier Beetle. Would surely come back to this place in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I want to ask how do catch tiger beetles and how to care for them?

    ReplyDelete