Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Friday 13 February 2015

Night Walk At Lower Peirce Reservoir (13 Feb 2015)

I was particularly looking forward to this trip as I was wanting to do a field test on my DIY flash diffuser. Like most full flash macro-photographers, I have been trying to reduce flash hot spots on my beetle subjects and have been experimenting with different type of DIY diffuser designs and materials. This is my latest attempt and the test results at home seemed promising.


As the main purpose of the trip was to test the DIY diffuser, so I decided to go to Lower Peirce Reservoir as it is a convenient place for me to visit and at the same time, it has a high chance of finding beetles for my testing.

As I have expected, the place was very dry but there are still a lot of lush green grass patches at the place. Fortunately there were still a number of critters among the grass patches.  Here's a brown colored Praying Mantis found among the grass patches.


The first beetle was a 3-4 mm Fungus Weevil on a tree trunk. I was surprised to see many of this type of Fungus Weevil on different trees.


Given the relatively dry weather this week, I was mentally expecting a not-so-fruit session and I am not surprised that it was only after 15 min before I found a few of this Tiger Beetle (Cicindela aurulenta).


Coming to some low bushes, I am glad to find several Chafer Beetles (Adoretus compressus).


On a tree nearby was a lone 5 mm Darkling Beetle.


As mentioned earlier, there were several lush green patches at the place. At one of the grass patches, I was surprised to find a Fungus Weevil (Eucorynus crassicornis) on a leaf.


On a fallen log was a Darkling Beetle (Ceropria induta).


Near to the Darkling Beetle was a Fungus Beetle (Episcapha quadrimacula).


Moving on, I came to another lush grass patch. I was not expecting to find any beetles at the grass patch and was pleasantly surprised to find a few of this Leaf Beetle (Lema rufotestacea).


Near to the Leaf Beetle was a 10 mm Darkling Beetle on a blade of grass.


Further down the path were several fallen logs that were used as a barrier to an area of low trees. On one of the logs was this Darkling Beetle.


At the base of a tree was a Checkered Beetle. I am glad to be able to encounter this beetle as it has been a while that I encountered any Checkered Beetle.


On the same the tree was a 1 mm beetle.


Coming to some low trees, several of this Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis) were seen munching on the tree's leaves.


On a tree nearby was a hyperactive Click Beetle that was constantly moving up and down the tree trunk.


Not too far from the Click Beetle on the same tree was a 3 mm Darkling Beetle.


On another tree was this hyperactive 4 mm beetle which proved to be a challenge to photograph.


Time went past quickly and it was almost time to go. Just then, a Darkling Beetle was found on a low tree.


Near to the Darkling Beetle was another small 8mm beetle. Not sure if this is a Darkling Beetle.


The last beetle for the trip was this lovely Ground Beetle (Catascopus dalbertisi).


Although the trip was not very fruitful, I am happy that the DIY flash diffuser worked well. The flash hot spots was greatly reduced, which in turn brought out the beauty of the beetles, just like the Ground Beetle above.

No comments:

Post a Comment