Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Friday 3 July 2015

Quick Walk At Bukit Timah Nature Reserve (29 Jun 2015)

I happened to be free and decided to go to the area surrounding the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve for a night macro photography session. As the park was closed for restoration, the only option was to skirt around the park. My best friend Cameron and her daughter Samantha were keen to join me on the trip and so I invited them along.

Just as a means to "entertain" Cameron and Samantha, I intentionally brought along an Ultra-Violet flashlight to show them the effects of UV light on critters such as scorpion. This turned out to be pretty fun for the trip.


The first beetle was a Tiger Beetle (Cicindela aurulenta) resting on a fish-tail palm leaf.


As we have not too much time for the walk because of a late start, the pace of moving was much faster than usual. Nevertheless, I managed to spot this brown colored Leaf Beetle resting on a branch.


Near to the Leaf Beetle was a Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis) having a feast with a new leaf.


Like at Venus Drive, there were a number of fallen trees along the path. On one of the fallen trees that lined the side of the path was a small 3 mm beetle which looked like a Darkling Beetle.


Moving further, I was surprised to find this Chafer Beetle (Maladera orientalis) resting on a palm leaf. This is the first time that I come across a Chafer Beetle on a palm leaf.


I was a little distracted as there was a hidden agenda - to look out for durian trees and hopefully find some for the night. Although distracted, I still managed to find this small 3 mm Darkling Beetle on a small tree.


While I was photographing the Darkling Beetle, Samantha called out to me that she found a beetle. I was glad that she spotted this as this is one of my favorite beetles.


As we passed by a spot where I usually find the Lema quadripunctata Leaf Beetle, I started looking for them. Instead finding the Lema quadripunctata Leaf Beetle, I found this lone Leaf Beetle that looked very much like the Lema quadripunctata Leaf Beetle but without the spots.


On a fallen log near to the Leaf Beetle was a Darkling Beetle resting on it.


On the same tree log was this 5 mm Darkling Beetle.


Just about then, we started to smell the distinct fragrance of the durian fruit. When one smell the fragrance of durian, it is very likely that there are fallen durians around the area. While searching for the durians, I came across an old durian husk that have critters crawling on it. As I took a closer look at it, I was surprised to find a Ground Beetle (Pentagonica flavipes) on it.


On the same durian husk was this lovely first-time-encountered Rove Beetle.


Next to the Rove Beetle was another smaller beetle.


Just then the focus of the trip was on finding durians on the ground as durians will automatically drop from the tree when they are ripe. At the end of the search around the spot, we managed to find 7 durians. With the durians in hands, I was not able to take any more photographs and thus ended the short but fruitful trip.


The trip was rather short but I am glad to still be able to find the first-time-encountered Rove Beetle. This was an unexpected trip and it turned out to be fun and rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment