Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Friday 23 October 2015

Night Walk At Punggol Forest (23 Oct 2015)

The weather has been dry for the entire week and the haze PSI index was in the unhealthy level of about 239 PSI. Eager to test out my new DIY differ, I decided to go to the nearby Punggol Forest for a short walk.

At the same time, I was also testing out the manual mode of my Sony speedlite flash (HVL-F43M). I am rather frustrated with this particular flash as it would overheat quickly and refused to work until it cooled down. After reading in the manual that the power of the flash can be  reduced, I was also wanting to test out the setting.

Here's a photograph of a Painted Bronzeback (Dendrelaphis pictus) snake encountered during the trip.


The first beetle that I came across was a small 4 mm Toe-winged Beetle. This beetle was very skittish and flew off after one photograph.


The place looked very dry and it was only after walking for about 15 minutes before I found this small 3 mm Sweet Potato Weevil (Cylas formicarius).


There were several of this Leaf Beetle found through out the entire trip.


The last beetle for the trip was a Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis).


The trip was worse than the previous trip to the place, with only four beetles encountered. Guessed that I would not go to the place for a while. Nevertheless, the result of my DIY diffuser seemed to work pretty well, but the flash power reduction did not work out as well as I hoped.

The haze situation in Singapore has worsen this week and hopefully the situation will improve when we moved in the monsoon seasons next month. Here's a photograph of the haze experienced during the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment