Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Sunday 21 February 2016

Short Afternoon Walk At Venus Drive (21 Feb 2016)

It has been raining whole day for the past two days and hence disrupted my usual walks on Friday night or Saturday morning. Still wanting to validate my newly acquired Yongnuo 560 IV speedlite, I decided to take a short walk at Venus Drive as the chances of finding beetles is higher despite the overcast weather and it is in the afternoon.

Here's a photograph of a Jumping Spider found there. I have always wanted to photograph Jumping Spiders but have not seriously done so due to their hyper-activeness. I am glad that this particular specimen remained relatively still for me to take some photographs of it.


The first beetle for the trip was a skittish first-time-encountered Spiny Leaf Beetle found at a small grass mound. Just as I took a test shot of the beetle, it flew off promptly. The test shot was not too well taken but I have included here as a record of what I encountered during the trip.


In the proximity of the Spiny Leaf Beetle was a 2 mm Ladybird Beetle (Cryptogonus orbiculus).


Coming to some large Elephant Ear plants, I was glad to see this lovely and bright Ladybird Beetle (Chilocorus circumdatus).


A stone's throw away was a Ladybird Beetle larvae busily moving up and down a leaf.


Interestingly, there was a large group of Tumbling Flower Beetle (Glipa malaccana) flying among a large patch of ferns.


The highlight of the trip was a first-time-encountered Ladybird Beetle. It looked like the usual white color Ladybird Beetle but upon closer look, I noticed the black spots on its elytra. I was thrilled to be able to find a new Ladybird Beetle.


On a tree nearby was my all-time favorite - a white Ladybird Beetle.


Coming to a wood-pile, I was glad to be able to find this lone Fungus Beetle (Eumorphus quadriguttatus quadriguttatus) resting on a leaf.


Next to it was a metallic colored Leaf Beetle.


More walking before I found this Leaf Beetle (Argopus brevis).


On a tree nearby was a beetle larvae.


Coming to a very long tree log by the side of the trail, I was glad to find this small 2 mm Shiny Fungus Beetle.


Next to the Shiny Fungus Beetle was a small tree where this lovely beetle larvae was resting.


Time passes by quickly and it was about time for me to leave. Just then I saw a small beetle under a leaf.


Near to the small beetle was a 2 mm Leaf Beetle.


It was almost at the end of the trip that I found this colony of Fungus Beetle.



The last beetle for the trip was a Darkling Beetle (Strongylium tenuipes) on a small tree, meters from the exit.


Although this trip was in the afternoon, I am glad that I can still find beetles and two first-time-encountered beetles. The trip was relatively fruitful especially given that it has been raining for the past two days. Indeed Venus Drive is a good place to visit and has not  failed me thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment