Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Friday 27 May 2016

Morning Walk At Kranji Marshes (27 May 2016)

I was on leave so I decided to bring my wife to the Kranji Marshes for a walk since she has not been there before. The last time I was at the place was in Feb 2016 and the number of beetles found during the last trip was reasonably good given the rainy condition then.

Here's a photograph of the entrance to the Kranji Marshes.


We were there slightly after 10.30 am but the temperature at the place was already pretty high. Because of the heat, not many insects were found except for millipedes and dragonflies. Here is a photograph of a tiny 3 mm first-time-encountered Leaf Beetle. It looks like another Leaf Beetle (Lema diversa) but lacks the metallic blue coloration of the Lema diversa Leaf Beetle.


The place was so hot that I was not able to find any beetles in the open, unlike my last trip to the place. The other beetle encountered at the place was a special treat for me as I have been wanting to photograph this beetle for a long time. During the last encounter, I was not able to get a good shot of the beetle, so I was thrilled to find two of this beetle on a . Here's a photograph of the Yellow Orchid Beetle (Lema pectoralis) munching on a orchid flower bud.


The trip was disappointing as I only managed to find two beetles during the two hours trip. Nevertheless, it was still a good trip as I managed to find a first-time-encountered beetle and a beetle that I have been wanting to photograph for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment