Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Saturday 3 September 2016

Night Walk At Lower Peirce Reservoir (02 Sep 2016)

My friend HW and I decided to go to the Lower Peirce Reservoir this week for our night macro session. Although I have been to the place not too long ago, I didn't go to the place where we previously found a large colony of Epsicapha quadrimacula Fungus Beetle. To my surprise, the plants at the place have grown a lot and the place was almost inaccessible.
 

The first beetle was a commonly encountered Chafer Beetle (Adoretus compressus).


Near to the Chafer Beetle was another beetle. I am still not clear which beetle family it belongs to.


Resting on a small bush was a lovely Fungus Beetle (Amblyopus vittatus).


Nearby on a small tree was this 2 mm Darkling Beetle which appeared black to the naked eyes but its lovely pattern became visible when zoomed in with the camera.


Coming to some fallen tree, I am glad to find several of this Darkling Beetles.


On a leaf of a low palm tree, I found several of this brown Chafer Beetle which I suspect is the female of the Adoretus compressus Chafer Beetle.


On a tree further down the "trail" was a small 1 mm Darkling Beetle.


Coming to a sandy patch, we found a number of this commonly encountered Tiger Beetle (Cicindela aurulenta).


Resting on a blade of grass was a 5 mm Ground Beetle (Pentagonica flavipes).


On a tree nearby was several of this shiny 4 mm Darkling Beetle.


On the same tree was this 3 mm Fungus Beetle.


As my friend HW has not walked the Lower Peirce Boardwalk before, we decided to give it a try even though I know that the chances of finding beetles along the boardwalk is not very high. Near to the start of the boardwalk, HW found a Darkling Beetle (Strongylium tenuipes) up a small tree.


At the start of the boardwalk, I came across a small patch of Clidemia hirta plant and on it was this curious looking critter. I am not sure what nymph it is but it looked a bit like a beetle larvae. Appreciate if someone can identify this critter.


There were a number of Singapore  Rhododendron plant (Melastoma malabathricum) along the boardwalk and feasting on them were scores of different Chafer Beetles.


It was only after a fair bit of walking before I find this dark bronze color Chafer Beetle.


More walking without finding any beetles until we came to a small tree where several of this shiny 3 mm Darkling Beetle were found.


On the same tree was this lone Darkling Beetle.


Not much actions along the boardwalk and I was so glad to be able to find several of this 3 mm Darkling Beetles almost near to the end of the boardwalk.


The last beetle for the trip was a small 3 mm Darkling Beetle.


This trip was interesting as I was able to revisit the site where I saw a large congregation of the Episcapha quadrimacula Fungus Beetles.

No comments:

Post a Comment