Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Sunday 15 January 2017

Night Walk Along Punggol Road (13 Jan 2017)

The sky looked like it may rain so I decided to go to the near by Punggol Road for my regular macro photography session. It has been a long while since I last walked there and I am eager to see what nature still remained after the recent months of developments around the Punggol area.

Here's a photograph of a Fireweed (Erechthites valerianifolia) which surprisingly was in abundance around the "disturbed" area near to the newly developed facilities.


The first beetle encountered were a pair of Leaf Beetles found among the leaves of the Sea Hibiscus (Talipariti tiliaceum) at the edge of the mangrove.


No beetle was encountered along Punggol Road until I moved into a disturbed forested area where several of this Chafer Beetle (Adoretus compressus) were found on a low bush.


I was pleasantly surprised to find a Ladybird Beetle (Henosepilachna implicata) resting on a leaf near to the Chafer Beetles.


About a meter away from the Ladybird Beetle was a low bush where several of this Leaf Beetle (Altica cyanea) were found. It has been quite a while that I last encountered this beetle.


After photographing the Leaf Beetle, I was so glad to find this Ladybird Beetle just centimeters away. It looked like the Epilachna admirabilis Ladybird Beetle but differs slightly in the position of the spots.


Moving further down the path I found this Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis) feasting on a low plant.


Near to the Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis) was another Chafer Beetle (Aprosterna pallide).


Just meters from the end of the path I was surprised to find a fallen tree with this large 25 mm Darkling Beetle (Eucythus anthracinus) on it.


Near to the Darkling Beetle on the same fallen tree was this Fungus Weevil (Eucorynus crassicornis).


I am saddened by the massive development that is going on at the place which seemed to have decimated the once rich nature at Punggol. Nonetheless, I am still glad to be able to find some beetles on this trip even though the number was lower than expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment