Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Friday 5 May 2017

Night Walk At Punggol Promenade Nature Walk (05 May 2017)

It has been more than a year that I last went to Coney Island for a walk as the last trip there was a  disappointment. Curious whether insects managed to establish themselves on the island, I decided to go there for my weekly night walk. In order to reach Coney Island, one would need to walk about 1 km along the Punggol Promenade Nature Walk.

As I walked the Punggol Promenade Nature Walk, I was "distracted" by a patch of low bushes and freshly fell trees. As I approached the place, I was surprised to find that the place was full of insects. Here's a shot of a 60 mm Praying Mantis found at the place.


I read about this particular spider, nicknamed "Pringles Spider" aka Kidney Garden Spider (Araneus mitificus) and thought it was pretty unique. I was thrilled to be able to find one during this trip. Here's sharing a photograph of this interesting spider, albeit a badly taken photograph due to the odd position when taking the photograph.


The first beetle for the trip was a 2 mm Darkling Beetle on a fallen tree. I am pleasantly surprised to find many of this type of beetle all over the place. I didn't find a single one of them during my last trip there.


On the same fallen log was this superbly camouflaged 7 mm first-time-encountered Long Horned Beetle (Prosoplus bankii). It was so well camouflaged that it took me a while longer to locate it through my camera lens.


Moving further down the stretch of low bush, I was surprised to find several of this lovely orange Leaf Beetles.


A stone's throw away was the highlight of the trip, a Soldier Beetle resting on a blade of grass.


Coming to a patch of sandy ground, I am glad to find several of this commonly encountered Tiger Beetle (Cicindela aurulenta).


I was really excited when I found several of this Leaf Beetle (Lema rufotestacea) at a nearby grass patch.


A meter away from the Leaf Beetle was this Fungus Beetle (Amblyopus vittatus) resting on a leaf of a low bush.


Just as I was thinking that there would not be any more other beetles to be found, I am once again surprised to find this Click Beetle (Pectocera babai) under a leaf.


Just meters away was this lone Ladybird Beetle (Henosepilachna implicata) on a stalk of grass.


I was just wondering in my mind that I have not encounter any Chafer Beetle on this trip, I found a few of this brown Chafer Beetle on several Sea Hibiscus (Talipariti tiliaceum) plant. When I saw the Sea Hibiscus plants, I was hoping to find a small Leaf Beetle that usually feeds on the plant's leaves. I didn't find any of the small Leaf Beetle but found this Chafer Beetle instead.


The trip was surprisingly fruitful with the encounter of different types of beetle, even though the place looked like it rained in the late afternoon. I will definitely make another trip to this place in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment